Monday 12 August 2013

Part two: distractions & drama

Dear Diary,

I woke up this morning full of ridiculous hope. All I can think about is Lara, and I barely know her. I really need to focus on my studies, I've only managed to decipher a few recipes so far, and they're all for mundane things like sleep potions and skill boosting elixirs. Every time I try to buckle down, I feel a phantom vibration from my phone and think it's her.


I sat at the kitchen table, taking a break to drink some plasma juice. I needed to get out of the house, but my options during the daytime are limited. I decided to go over to the neighbours I hadn't met yet and introduce myself. When squatting in an empty house, being on good terms with your neighbours is important.


I didn't realize what type of trouble I was inviting when I knocked on that door. Goodwin Good (what a ridiculous name!) was young, handsome, and giving me eyes the second we were introduced. He was open and flirtatious, but surprisingly old-fashioned at the same time. He was definitely a hopeless romantic. I was flattered by his attention. He didn't fill me up with butterflies the way Lara did, and so I was much more composed.

However, when I decided it was time to go, he snuck in a quick kiss!


I let it happen, but excused myself immediately after. Obviously my hormones weren't dead, even if I was! I needed to get back to alchemy. Unfortunately, the next few recipes I learned were all equally useless to me: mixtures to cause discord, bliss, and zombification.


I mixed up a vial of bliss anyway, for practice, and maybe I can give it to Lara next time I see her?

Dear Diary: 

I slept pretty well last night, but I woke up this morning in a bit of a funk. I spent a solid 10 minutes staring at my phone before I finally decided to text Lara. She responded quickly, inviting me to her place in the afternoon. I was ecstatic, and left my house at 12:00 on the dot. When I arrived, I was charmed by her home: an old stone cottage with pretty flowers growing at the front. Lara met me at the door with a smile and the tension between us was electric. I hadn't imagined it at the party, we had undeniable chemistry.

After chatting and drinking tea in her sitting room, we finally gave up the pretense of small talk and kissed. I hid my blush against her neck as I admitted my attraction.


I stayed for hours, and we ended up outside gazing at the stars. I knew I should be at home studying, but I was drunk on her presence. 


Instead of thinking about when I should go, I could only wonder how long I could stay. Eventually, Lara leaned in close and whispered that she'd love to show me her secret love-nest. I laughed, and she led me into the back yard and up the ladder to a rickety old treehouse. 
"This house was my grandmother's, but the treehouse has always been mine" she smiled.


I was a virgin going into that treehouse, but definitely not coming out! Lara invited me to stay the night at her cottage, and I happily accepted. We slept in her bed, and I felt happier than I thought possible, in my vampiric form.


Unfortunately, that happiness was to be short-lived. I woke up early in the morning and thought it would be nice to make some waffles for Lara. I didn't really know how to cook, but it couldn't be that difficult. However, I had only just begun to pull ingredients out of cupboards when I heard her standing in the doorway behind me. I turned around and my stomach dropped.


"You know, I don't really like you going through my stuff like this. I am perfectly capable of cooking breakfast."
"Lara, I... I'm sorry. I didn't think... I just wanted to.. try." I could barely stumble through the apology without bursting into tears. Where was this anger coming from?


She accepted my apology, but I could see the tension in her shoulders and made an excuse to get the hell out of there. I was hurt by her reaction, and feeling totally foolish. I took a taxi home and promised myself I'd spend the rest of the day on alchemy, and take a break from getting mixed up in the lives of the people around me.



No comments:

Post a Comment